How to Win Friends and
If you want people to like you:
1. Become genuinely interested in other people.
3. Remember that a man loves to hear his name.
4. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
5. Talk in terms of the other man's interests.
6. Make the other person feel important.
12 ways of winning people to your way of thinking:
1. The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
2. Show respect for the other man's opinions. Never tell a man he is wrong.
3. If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
4. Begin in a friendly way.
5. Get the other person saying "yes, yes" immediately.
6. Let the other man do a great deal of the talking.
7. Let the other man feel that the idea is his.
8. Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.
9. Be sympathetic with the other person's ides and desires.
10. Appeal to the nobler desires.
11. Dramatize your ideas.
12. Throw down a challenge.
9 ways to change people without giving offense or arousing resentment:
1. Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
2. Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.
3. Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
4. Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
5. Let the other man save his face.
6. Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement.
7. Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
8. Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
9. Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.
Taken from Dale Carnegie's book, Winning Friends and Influencing People.